What should I do if I’m injured on the job in Florida?

Contact Us Today!
construction accidents florida

If you’ve been injured on the job in Florida, then you are likely entitled to compensation. However, there are different types of compensation you may receive. Make sure to continue reading this article and then call our Port St. Lucie workers’ compensation lawyer today.

What steps should I follow after being injured on the job?

There are several steps that should be taken following a workplace injury, but what’s imperative is that you tend to your injuries first. If you’re injuries permit, you should then perform the following steps:

  • Call 911 and alert your employer or supervisor.
  • Attain the contact information of a witness.
  • Take pictures of the accident.
  • Save any medical documents that relate to your injuries.
  • Contact a skilled personal injury attorney.

Remember that Florida requires workers to report a workplace injury within 30 days of the incident and that there is a statute of limitations on personal injury claims. The statute of limitations for a workers’ compensation claim in Florida is, generally, two years. . If you try to file a claim after four years have elapsed, then you may be barred from suing. Make sure to contact a St. Lucie County personal injury lawyer today so that we can fight for your compensation.

Am I entitled to workers’ compensation in Florida?

Employers in Florida are generally required to offer workers’ compensation if they have four or more employees. The goal of workers’ compensation is to provide wrongfully injured workers with financial compensation for the pain they’ve endured and may continue to endure. If you’ve been injured on the job then you’re entitled to workers’ compensation if you can prove negligence was involved. Proving negligence doesn’t have to be difficult, and experienced lawyers will have a variety of sample arguments they can make in your defense. For example, they may argue that your employer should have known about the dangerous conditions that caused your accident and chose not to act.

Can I file a third-party claim in Florida?

Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may consider filing a third-party claim instead of accepting workers’ compensation. A third-party claim is generally used when you’re injured by someone other than your employer, and it gives you the option to sue for more damages than you may have been given from workers’ compensation. An example of when you may file a third-party claim is if you’ve been injured by a faulty product. In this instance, while you were injured on the job, your employer may not have known about the faulty product. Therefore, your best option may be a third-party claim.

Contact our experienced Port St. Lucie Firm

Here at The Florida Personal Injury Law Team, we understand the detrimental effects that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family. Contact us today for help.