Speed limits are in place for a reason, and when drivers fail to heed them, they endanger themselves and all those around them. Speeding is among the most common causes of auto accidents in Florida. If you are someone who has recently been injured in one, please read on, then contact an experienced Port St. Lucie auto accident lawyer to learn how speeding contributes to auto accidents in Florida.
How can speeding lead to Florida auto accidents?
Though at times it can be difficult to discern who was at fault in an auto accident, the liable driver is relatively clear, especially if he or she was driving a car over the speed limit. Due in large part to a reduction in reaction times and amplification of the force of impact, speeding often results in significant injuries. That is because speeding is complicated by the following behaviors:
- Unsafe lane changes: Speeding drivers may not look to ensure they are not driving into the path of another motorist. When people fail to check blind spots or fail to check at all, very serious accidents can occur.
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs: Because of their diminished capacity to respond to traffic lights and signs, negligent drivers are likely to collide with motorists who are following the laws.
- Failing to control speed to avoid a collision: Due to their high rate of speed, negligent drivers often fail to negotiate traffic and cannot stop in time to prevent a collision. These often result in rear-end accidents.
- Failing to account for weather conditions: Though always ill-advised and dangerous, speeding in inclement weather can be especially hazardous, because even if the driver brakes in time, the conditions of the road surface may prevent their vehicle from stopping.
- Overtaxing auto parts: Driving erratically at a high rate of speed can be taxing to auto parts and lead to untimely breakdowns, jackknifing or other devastating accidents.
Regardless of the extent of your injuries, you should contact a competent St. Lucie County personal injury lawyer to discuss your options.
How can a Florida auto accidents attorney help you recover damages from a speeding driver?
Our firm will be able to inform you of your rights as well as prepare and present your evidence in court. Furthermore, a qualified legal professional will help you receive compensation for both economic and non-economic damages such as the following:
- Cost of medical treatment
- Estimated future medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Future lost earnings
- Property damage
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You can also sue for punitive damages, which punish a defendant for grossly negligent or particularly egregious actions.
Do not go it alone. Please give us a call today.
Contact our experienced Port St. Lucie Firm
Here at The Florida Personal Injury Law Team, our firm understands the detrimental effects that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family. Our firm handles a wide array of personal injury claims, including those involving auto accidents, slip and falls, defective products, construction accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, and more. If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, look no further than the Florida Personal Injury Law team. To schedule your first consultation with our team, contact an experienced Port St. Lucie personal injury attorney today.